Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Sometimes You are the Idiot

We all dislike the idiots who bring grief and frustration to our day:  the jerk who cuts us off, the person with 20 items in the 10 item or less aisle and the clerk who doesn't say anything to her,  the couple walking slowly hand in hand down the store aisle blocking the way so you can't easily get past.  I could go on and on here.  The world is full of inconsiderate idiots.
Sean Molin Photography via photopin cc

But sometimes you are the idiot.

I've lived several years now in countries that drive on the opposite side of the road from the country of my birth.  Getting used to this was surprisingly easier than I had expected.

The trouble comes when I visit home and have to switch back.

One holiday time I was visiting my parents and had driven alone to my brother's house a couple hours away.  I was coming home late and the roads were really empty.  As I pulled off the expressway I turned left unto the road with two lanes in each direction.  I'm driving happily along glad that in 5 minutes I would be able to crawl in to the comfy bunk bed at my parent's house.

Suddenly I see a bright pair of head lights, pointed directly at me, ON MY SIDE OF THE ROAD.

"What an idiot!" I shout.  Heading home drunk from some holiday party and can't even drive on the correct side of the road. Thankfully there are two lanes on this side of the divider so we pass each other glaring out our windows at each other.

And then it hits me.

I'M THE IDIOT!

I'm on the wrong side of the road.  Me.  I wasn't thinking clearly and I screwed up.  My heart races as I am forced by the snow piled high on the raised median to keep driving forward until I reach a side street.  Thankfully I don't meet any other drivers.

So when you meet the idiots of this world cut them some slack.  Chances are you have been the idiot unaware many times yourself.

________________________________
Ever wonder why we drive on different sides of the road in different countries?  This website has a great entertaining explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment